Federal and state antitrust laws prohibit anticompetitive behavior and unfair business practices that harm other businesses and consumers.
Examples of these unlawful, anticompetitive practices include:
- Price Fixing – an agreement among competitors to raise, fix, or otherwise maintain the price at which their goods or services are sold.
- Pay-for-Delay – an agreement between a brand drug manufacturer and a would-be generic competitor to delay the release of a generic version of the branded drug, depriving consumers of lower-priced generics.
- Bid-Rigging – competitors agree in advance who will submit the winning bid during a competitive bidding process. As with price fixing, it is not necessary that all bidders participate in the conspiracy.
- Monopolization – one or more persons or companies totally dominates an economic market.
- Unfair Competition – an attempt to gain unfair competitive advantage through false, fraudulent, or unethical commercial conduct.
- Market Division – an agreement between competitors not to compete within each other’s geographic territories.
- Group Boycotts – two or more competitors agree not to do business with a specific person or company.
- Exclusive Dealing Arrangements – an agreement that a buyer will only buy exclusively from the supplier.
- Price Discrimination – charging different prices to similarly situated buyers. Certain types of price discrimination may be illegal under the Robinson-Patman Act.
- Tying – when a company makes the purchase of an item conditioned on buying a second item.
Gibbs Law Group is a California-based law firm committed to protecting the rights of clients nationwide who have been harmed by corporate misconduct. We represent individuals, whistleblowers, employees, and small businesses across the U.S. against the world’s largest corporations. Our award-winning lawyers have achieved landmark recoveries and over a billion dollars for our clients in high-stakes class action and individual cases involving consumer protection, data breach, digital privacy, and federal and California employment lawsuits. Our attorneys have received numerous honors for their work, including “Top Plaintiff Lawyers in California,” “Top Class Action Attorneys Under 40,” “Consumer Protection MVP,” “Best Lawyers in America,” and “Top Cybersecurity/ Privacy Attorneys Under 40.”
Report an anticompetitive practice: