Gibbs Law Group is investigating allegations of sexual harassment at Tesla after a female employee filed a lawsuit against the company. If you experienced sexual harassment or gender discrimination while working at Tesla, we are here to listen and help.
Lawsuit: Tesla is a "hostile work environment" where sexual harassment is "rampant"
In a 2021 lawsuit, a female employee who worked at Tesla’s Fremont plant alleges that her coworkers engaged in sexual harassment, which included sexist language and physical groping, as well as other abusive behavior. In addition to this harassment, the lawsuit also alleges that overseeing managers and supervisors were aware of the harassment and did nothing to protect employees.
The lawsuit also states that Tesla subjects female employees to “nightmarish conditions of rampant sexual harassment,” and further describes the factory floor as reminiscent of “a crude, archaic construction site or frat house.” In a statement provided to The Verge, the employee who filed the lawsuit added:
“Nearly every day for three years, my female coworkers and I were objectified, threatened, touched, and propositioned on the factory floor.”
Similarly, The Guardian reported that at a 2017 town hall meeting, a female Tesla worker described parts of the Tesla factory as a “predator zone” for sexual harassment.
Lawsuits accuse Tesla of gender discrimination, racial harassment, and unequal pay
According to The Guardian and NPR, other recent lawsuits filed by employees against Tesla have included additional claims, such as gender discrimination in granting promotions, retaliation against employees when complaints against these practices are made, and racial harassment.
Though Tesla CEO Elon Musk is not named in the recent 2021 lawsuit, in an interview with The Washington Post, the female Tesla employee pointed to crude tweets from Musk and asserted that the “culture of harassment came straight from the top.”
Contact a Member of our Team
Our promise to sexual assault survivors everywhere
Gibbs Law Group’s award-winning sexual assault attorneys represent survivors across the country. Our team is committed to empowering sexual assault survivors to regain control, achieve justice and begin to heal. We recently obtained a $73 million settlement on behalf of former patients of UCLA gynecologist Dr. James Heaps, who was accused of sexual abuse and misconduct.
- We believe you can heal. The journey may look different for everyone. But know this: what happened to you wasn’t your fault, and you aren’t alone.
- We believe in your power. Sexual assault can be personal and traumatic, and we honor the courage and strength it takes to share your story. If you have questions, feel ready to pursue a legal claim, or just need someone to talk to about your experience, you can confide in our team of experienced professionals.
- You’re in control. As your advocates, we’re dedicated to helping you gain your power back. You can choose to work with female or male attorneys and staff. Whether you prefer phone calls, videoconferencing or texting, we can communicate in a way that’s comfortable for you. You are in control and you decide what you want to do.
- We’re with you, every step of the way. We’ll keep you updated on your case—in non-lawyer terms. We will explain the legal process and next steps in a clear way you can understand. Our client-centered approach is rooted in a sincere focus on our clients’ wellbeing and intended to empower clients’ pursuit of justice.
- Our results are unmatched. Our award-winning lawyers take on some of the biggest, most powerful entities across the country—and win. We have the resources, experience and skill to fight for you and other survivors of sexual assault. Our attorneys have received numerous honors for their work, including “Top Women Lawyers in California,” “Top Plaintiff Lawyers in California,” “Consumer Protection MVP,” “Best Lawyers in America,” and “Class Action Practice Group of the Year.”
Karen Barth Menzies is a winning advocate for sexual assault survivors
Karen is a partner in our sexual assault practice group. She has been recognized as a Super Lawyer in Southern California for the last fifteen years. She is willing to listen to your story, without judgment. She’s on your side.
Karen has over two decades of litigation experience in some of the nation’s most complex cases, and she is particularly focused on sexual abuse claims and women’s health issues.
Karen believes in advocating for the victims who’ve been taken advantage of. She currently represents former members of Boy Scouts of America in claims of sexual abuse by scoutmasters, troop leaders and other adults. She also represents survivors who experienced Catholic Clergy sexual abuse in claims against the Archdiocese of New Orleans, which is currently in a legal restructuring process.
Feedback from Karen’s Clients
“Gibbs Law Group has provided a foundation of safety, trauma-informed support and understanding as I seek to hold my abuser accountable. Working with Karen and Jeff has empowered other survivors and I to stand up against the pervasive rape culture of the music industry.” —Michaela H.